PhD, May 2011
University of Southampton, Southampton, UK.
ESR Fellow (Marie Curie Early Stage Program: Southampton Early Stage Training in Structural & Materials Chemistry).
“A Structural Systematic Study of Three Families of Salicylic Acid Derivatives.”
Laurea in Chimica, April 2006 (110/110 Cum Laude)
Università degli studi di Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy.
“Synthesis of Linear Polydentate Ligands and Their Application as Fluorescent Ion Sensors”
Crystal engineer, molecular/ion binding and sensing, functional materials.
Dr Riccardo Montis studied Chemistry at the University of Cagliari (Italy) and obtained his PhD in 2011 at the University of Southampton (UK) working on crystal engineering, structural systematic and single crystal X-ray diffraction. His research interests cover different aspects of supramolecular chemistry, crystal engineering and crystal growth.
- A. Casula, M. Fornasier, R. Montis,* A. J. Blake, V. Lippolis, G. Picci, C. Caltagirone.* Halogen-substituted ureas for anion binding: solution and solid-state studies. 2017 (accepted in SupramolecularChemistry).
- R. Montis,* M. Arca, M. C. Aragoni, A. Bauzá, F. Demartin, A. Frontera*, F. Isaia, V. Lippolis*. Hydrogen- and halogen-bond cooperativity in determining the crystal packing of dihalogen Charge-Transfer adducts: a study case from heterocyclic pentatomic chalcogenone donors 2017, DOI: 10.1039/C7CE01035D (Advance article in CrystEngComm).
- A. Casula, C. Bazzicalupi, A. Bettoschi, E. Cadoni, S. J. Coles, P. N. Horton, F. Isaia, V. Lippolis, L. K. Mapp, G. M. Marini, R. Montis, M. A. Scorciapino and C. Caltagirone. Fluorescent asymmetric bis-ureas for pyrophosphate recognition in pure water. Dalton Transactions 2016, 45, 3078-3085.
- M. Olivari, R. Montis, S. N. Berry, L. E. Karagiannidis, S. J. Coles, P. N. Horton, L. K. Mapp, P. A. Gale and C. Caltagirone. Tris-ureas as transmembrane anion transporters. Dalton Transactions 2016, 45, 11892-11897.
- C. Caltagirone, A. Bettoschi, A. Garau, R. Montis, Silica-based nanoparticles: a versatile tool for the development of efficient imaging agents, Chemical Society Review, 2015, (DOI: 10.1039/C4CS00270A).
- M. Olivari, R. Montis, L. E Karagiannidis, P. N. Horton, L. K. Mapp, S. J. Coles, M. E. Light, P. A. Gale, C. Caltagirone, Anion complexation, transport and structural studies of a series of bis-methylurea compounds., Dalton Transactions, 2015, 44, 2138-2149.
- 7. Isaia, M. C. Aragoni, M. Arca, C. Caltagirone, A. Garau, V. Lippolis, P. G. Jones, R. Montis, Reactivity of the drug methimazole and its iodine adduct with elemental zinc. CrystEngComm, 2014, 16; 3613-3623, doi:10.1039/C3CE42601G.
- 8. B. Hursthouse, R. Montis,* L. Niitsoo, J. Sarson, T. L. Threlfall, A. M. Asiri, S. A. Khan, A. Y. Obaid, L. M. Al-Harbi. Anhydrates and/or hydrates in nitrate, sulphate and phosphate salts of 4-aminopyridine, (4-AP) and 3,4-diaminopyridine (3,4-DAP): the role of the water molecules in the hydrates. CrystEngComm, 2014, 16; 2205-2219 doi: 10.1039/C3CE42471E
- 9. M. Shamsipur, M. Mohammadi, A. Taherpour, V. Lippolis, Montis, Development of a novel PVC-membrane fluorescent sensor based on N, N′-bis(dansylamidoethyl)-N,N′-bis(2-pyridylmethyl)propylene-diamine as a new fluoroionophore for highly sensitive and selective monitoring of trace amounts of La3+ ions in aqueous solutions. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 2014, 192, 378-385.
- 10. Caltagirone, A. Garau, V. Lippolis, R. Montis, M. Olivari, F. Isaia, M. A. Scorciapino. Reply to the 'Comment on "Non-symmetric substituted ureas locked in an (E, Z) conformation: an unusual anion binding via supramolecular assembly" by B. Osmialowski and E. Kolehmainen, New J. Chem., 2014, 38, DOI: 10.1039/c3nj01282d. New Journal of Chemistry, 2014. 38; 2704-2706, doi: DOI: 10.1039/C4NJ00170B.
- 11. A. M. Asiri, H. G. Heller, D. S. Hughes, M. B. Hursthouse, J. Kendrick, F. J. J. Leusen, Montis, A mechanophysical phase transition provides a dramatic example of colour polymorphism: the tribochromism of a substituted tri(methylene)tetrahydrofuran-2-one, Chemistry Central Journal, 2014, 8, 1-11.
- 12. M. C. Aragoni, M. Arca, A. Bencini, C. Caltagirone, A. Garau, F. Isaia, M. E. Light, V. Lippolis, C. Lodeiro, M. Mameli, Montis, M. C. Mostallino, A. Pintus, S. Puccioni, Zn2+/Cd2+ optical discrimination by fluorescent chemosensors based on 8-hydroxyquinoline derivatives and sulfur-containing macrocyclic units. Dalton Transactions 2013, 42 (40), 14516-14530.